Tableau is an amazing tool to analyze and explore data but have you ever came across a use case where you would need users to input data? There are many examples such as: forecasting, planning, adding comments or any actionable process. Most of the times you’ll use another tool to input the data which comes with important disadvantages: a separate tool is needed, so you won't be on the Tableau flow anymore, no security and no auditing.
The Tableau Write Back Extension solves these challenges by allowing you to submit the data directly from your Tableau dashboard and with all the features that make it an enterprise grade extension:
- To start, check out the product Demo Video or give it a try yourself on our Public Demo.
- To get more in-depth information, continue with the documentation below or jump right into the extension details.
- The extension is commercialized as an yearly subscription, use these links to purchase a license or request a trial
- Back end: Write the data to your data base technology of choice.
- Usability: Intuitive UI allowing any user to submit his data and easily configure new use cases.
- Security: The communication between Tableau and the extension is secured and authenticated and you the extension is deployed on your own infrastructure so you have full control on security policies.
- Audit tracking: Historical actions performed by the users are fully traceable in a relational database so you know exactly who did what.
|Intuitive UI with multiple field types|
|Add, edit and delete entries|
|All database management tasks, including creating tables, are handled automatically|
|Write to a separate data set, original data is never changed|
Local deployment (on-premise or cloud)
Active Directory authentication
|Tableau Server authentication|
|Any action regarding data or configuration is audited|
|Available REST API to submit data automatically|
The goals of this section is to provide some information on the direction the product is taking, the capabilities shown below are not currently available and may not be ready on time. We advise customers to make their purchasing decisions based upon features currently available as stated on Detailed Features above.
- UI Improvements
- Bulk edit
- Improve field handling
- New features
- Calculated fields
- Field validation
- Support additional back end technologies like Office 365 and Hyper
- Authentication based on SAML
- Usability enhancements