Release 3.0 of Write-Back had major enhancements. If you need information about the previous version 2.2 please go to Tableau Write-Back Documentation Home.
Tableau is an amazing tool to analyze and explore data but have you ever came across a use case where you would need users to input data? There are many examples such as: forecasting, planning, adding comments or any actionable process. Most of the time you’ll use another tool to input the data which comes with important disadvantages: a separate tool is needed, so you won't be on the Tableau flow anymore, no security and no auditing.
Write-Back, which is a Tableau extension, solves these challenges by allowing you to submit the data directly from your Tableau dashboard and with all the features that make it an enterprise grade extension.
- To start, check out:
- To get more in-depth information, continue with the documentation below or if you want to see who is using Write-Back and our blog please visit our website.
- The extension is commercialized as a yearly subscription, use these links to purchase a license or request a trial (signup and login in the marketplace are necessary).
- Back end: Write the data to your database technology of choice.
- Usability: Intuitive UI allowing any user to submit his data and easily configure new use cases.
- Security: Write-Back is deployed on your own infrastructure so you have full control on security policies, besides that it is compatible with multiple authentication mechanisms making it ideal to integrate on your infrastructure.
- Audit tracking: Historical actions performed by the users are fully traceable in a relational database so you know exactly who did what.
|Intuitive UI configurable for many use cases|
|Add, edit and delete entries|
|No need to know SQL, all database management tasks, including creating tables, are handled automatically.|
|Write to a separate data set, original data is never changed|
Local deployment (on-premise or cloud) *
Active Directory authentication
|Tableau Server authentication|
|Any action regarding data or configuration is audited|
|Microsoft SQL Server|
|Amazon Redshift *|
|Administration & Embedding|
|Dedicate tool for managing configuration and administration|
|Theming mechanism so you can adjust Write-Back look regarding logos and colors|
|Available REST API to submit data automatically|
* Although these analytical databases are fully supported they are not ideal for the Write-Back use case that is more operational (OLTP), using them can lead to performance issues.